My current life goal is to wake up on a Monday morning, and instead of thinking, “oh no it’s Monday” then proceed to post a funny photo of an animal with the hashtag #hatemondays on Instagram. To instead wake up feeling excited about what today could bring. Whether it’s a Monday or any day of the week.
So when I was lucky enough to be offered a new job in something I really wanted to do. I was then faced with the decision of how to quit. A friend once told me if you are intending to leave your job and to find another, then writing a resignation letter whilst job hunting is therapeutic and also saves time for when you are successful. So when i got that important life changing “yes we want you”, I had to make a plan. Here’s what you should do.
- Find out your notice period (for me it was 4 weeks)
- Phone HR discreetly and find out how much holiday you have left and what you’re entitled to take. Get a reference number.
- If you have more than a week holiday. Take a week off. You are entitled to it and means you can have break before starting your new job.
- Change the date on the already typed up resignation letter and state your last day at work will be in 3 weeks time and your official leaving date will be a week after that. (See below for example of letter)
- Ask a family member or partner to read over the letter. Print two copies. One for your manager and one for your HR department.
- On the day of quitting, take a few deep breathes and ask to meet with your manager privately. Then the rest is up to you!
Here is what my letter looked like. It was professional and informative.
Please accept this letter as notice of my resignation as Customer Host at —————-.
This has been a very difficult decision to make as I have been very happy throughout my employment at ——— but I have been offered an opportunity that I feel will assist me with my long-term career progression. I do hope that you will understand my reasons.
As detailed within my contract of employment, I hereby give the required notice period of 4 weeks, with the last day of employment being officially Wednesday 14th October. My last day in the branch will be Friday 9th October as I have a week booked off from the 10th-17th October. I have confirmed with HR that this holiday is owed to me and that I actually have remaining holiday left over which will be paid to me (REF HR00688534).
I am due to start my new employment on Monday 19th October and the position I have been offered is a ‘Content Production Executive’ for ———- . As you know, most of my education has focused on English and Media. This position would be combing them both and would be my ideal career.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you and everyone that I have had the pleasure to work with over the last 4 years and 10 months. I have enjoyed being part of the team and will miss you all. You have provided me with so much support and many opportunities.
As always I am dedicated to my role within ———- until I leave, so if there is anything you would like me to prepare or any other task you’d like me to focus on until then, please let me know.
Thank you again and especially to ——– who has supported me so much with my journey through ———-, like I said before this has been a difficult decision for me, but I believe this is the best choice.